Thursday, March 19, 2009

It's "Andrés", not "Andreas"

I've always had trouble with my name. I was born "Arturo Andrés", and went by "Arturo" all my life (except, of course, when my mom middle named me when I did something bad) until I moved to Monterrey. I starting to meet a lot of new people there and when introduced I would say "Arturo Ornelas". The matching o's at the end of my first name and beginning of my last name made people say "sorry?" most of the time. To make matters worse, my last name is not common at all.

So, I evolved to saying "Arturo Andrés Ornelas", to include my middle name and hopefully solve the o's issue. But this was an issue of its own. People always asked afterward "so... how do people call you: Arturo or Andrés?".

This led me to simplify future introductions by saying "My name is Andrés Ornelas". There. It clearly distinguishes from my last name and people know to start calling me "Andrés". Some people seem to love to stick an "a" in my name and call me "Andreas", but that is easily corrected by saying "It's 'Andrés', as in 'undress'". Nobody forgets that. (And it would've been a great pick-up line back in the day, hehe)

Of course, this resulted in yet ANOTHER issue, but this one I can live with. My family, and everyone who met me before 2004, know me as "Arturo". But no biggie. They've learned to deal with it. For the really close and bright people, like my future wife, they can actually switch between "Arturo" and "Andrés" depending on the crowd.

Oh, wait... for my Wedding, will the priest call me "Arturo" or "Andrés"? Crap.

Update: The priest did call me "Andrés", which felt better. Still, several guests thought for a minute that they were at the wrong wedding XD

2 comments:

  1. hahaha, OMG q dilema

    ni me acordaba del "arturo" (creo que ni sabía)

    saludoss

    ReplyDelete